Starting March 31st, the library will undergo its’ first major renovation since 2002. The plan aims to reallocate space to better meet the changing needs of the community. Library staff began working with Product Architecture in early 2013. During the planning process, staff were able to identify design objectives and establish a timeline for a renovation of the existing space. The renovation will be paid for with existing library funds and will be spread over three fiscal years. Completed by 2016, the library facelift will provide:
For families and children:
• A larger and brighter story time room
• Increased lounge seating for parents
• Upgraded shelving for print and audiovisual collection
• An easy browsing picture book collection
• A designated teen room featuring computers and gaming.
• Improved computer work stations
• An expanded quiet area and study space
• New and popular print materials arranged by subject
• Upgraded shelving for audiovisual collections
• Carpet tiles throughout the building to decrease noise
• A larger computer lab
• A coffee vending machine
To control costs and limit service interruptions, the construction will be split into phases. Initial construction will last approximately 3.5 months with a projected completion date of July 15. Click here to see some initial renderings of the final project. As more project details are finalized they will be posted on this page. Stay tuned!
To see photo updates of renovation progress, please visit our Facebook page.